Common Car Accident Injuries
Over the span of 5 years, from 2018 to 2022, a staggering average of 29,677 Maryland residents found their lives profoundly affected by car accidents, their futures forever altered. Recognizing the various types of car accident injuries and knowing the immediate actions to take after an incident can play a pivotal role in your journey toward recovery and safeguarding your legal rights. That’s where The Law Offices of Kim Parker, P.A., come in. We specialize in aiding victims who have endured car accident injuries in Maryland. Continue reading to gain insights into prevalent car injuries and the crucial steps to take in the aftermath of an accident.
Car Accident Injuries in Maryland
In Maryland, the range of injuries resulting from car accidents is as diverse as it is concerning. While some accidents may lead to mere bruises or scrapes, others can result in catastrophic consequences, including fatalities.
1. Spinal Cord Injuries
Spinal cord injuries can manifest in various forms, from minor issues like herniated disks to severe cases such as paralysis. The latter can have a devastating impact on your life, potentially leading to loss of mobility and long-term disability.
Whiplash is a frequent yet often misunderstood injury. While it might seem minor initially, its symptoms — neck pain, stiffness, and headaches — can persist and worsen over time if not adequately treated. Prolonged issues may even require physical therapy, making it crucial to consult a healthcare provider immediately for proper diagnosis and treatment plans.
3. Traumatic Brain Injuries
Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) encompass a wide range of severity, from mild concussions to severe brain damage. These injuries can lead to long-term cognitive impairments, affecting memory, reasoning, and even emotional control. Immediate and ongoing medical care, often involving specialists, is crucial for minimizing long-term effects.
4. Loss of Limb
The extreme forces involved in some car accidents can result in the traumatic loss of a limb. This life-altering event not only requires immediate medical intervention but also long-term adjustments, including the use of prosthetic limbs and adaptive devices.
5. Internal Organ Damage
The impact of a car crash in Maryland can lead to internal injuries, affecting organs such as the kidneys, lungs, or heart. Because symptoms may not be immediately obvious, it is crucial to undergo a thorough medical examination to rule out internal injuries that can become life-threatening if untreated.
6. Fractures and Broken Bones
In a car accident, fractures and broken bones are common and require immediate attention for proper alignment and healing. In more severe cases, surgical intervention may be needed to insert pins or plates.
7. Abdominal Injuries
Blunt force trauma to the abdomen can result in injuries to vital organs like the liver, spleen, or intestines. These injuries often require surgical intervention and prolonged hospital stays, heightening the necessity for a robust legal case to cover medical expenses and lost wages.
Being aware of the types of injuries commonly sustained can equip you with the vital knowledge needed for immediate action post-accident. For instance, being aware that internal injuries might not show immediate symptoms can prompt you to seek a thorough medical evaluation, even if you feel fine.
Immediate Steps to Take After a Car Accident
Accidents can be disorienting, but knowing the immediate steps to take can not only be lifesaving but also advantageous when seeking compensation for injuries and damages.
- Check for Injuries: The first priority is to assess the physical condition of yourself and any passengers. This quick evaluation will help you communicate the severity of the situation when you call for emergency services.
- Call 911: No matter the perceived severity of the car accident, it’s crucial to alert the authorities. A formal police report can be indispensable when filing insurance claims or pursuing legal action.
- Seek Medical Help: It is advised to follow through with all medical advice and treatment plans for your well-being and as proof of your diligence in mitigating harm.
- Document the Scene: While waiting for emergency services, if possible, take photographs of the accident scene from various angles, including close-ups of any damages or injuries.
- Consult a Baltimore Car Accident Attorney: Legal advice can often be indispensable when navigating the post-accident landscape. Baltimore car accident attorneys can provide legal guidance, helping you understand your rights, the nuances of your case, and how best to proceed for optimal compensation.
At the Law Offices of Kim Parker, P.A., we are committed to helping victims get the justice they deserve. We encourage anyone who has suffered from an injury in a car accident to reach out to our seasoned Baltimore personal injury attorney for a comprehensive consultation. Contact us today for a consultation and take the first step towards safeguarding your future.